Give me at least 7 sentences telling me what you have learned about J.F.K.
Write in complete sentences:
Some things to remind you. The Wealth of the Kennedy Family, Military Service, Illness,
Older Brother, Running for Congress, His wife, Peace corps, Space Program, Civil Rights, Cuban Crisis, Bay of Pigs, Castro, Cold War.
Read the Below passage on Gorongosa National Park. Answer the questions that follow:
Gorongosa National Park is located in the country of Mozambique . It is a large wildlife park in the Continent of Africa. The park once was teeming with life. Then in the year 1977 the country of Mozambique had a Civil War. A civil war is when the citizens of the same country fight each other. During the Civil war that lasted from 1977- 1992 the soldiers on both sides hunted all the wildlife in the park for food. They killed them almost to extinction. Extinction is when an animal no longer exists because the last male and female of the species has died.
After the war in 1994 they did an animal Census - a census is an official count of something or someone. They had counted the animals in 1976 in Gorongosa Park. In 1976 they found there were:
In the 1994 Census the numbers had changed dramatically. Now in 1994 there were only:
10 or less Wildebeest
The wild life in the park was almost gone.
Read the above passage twice. Answer the questions below. Blog answers here.
1. What country is Gorongosa National park located?
2. What continent is Gorongosa National Park located in ?
3. What does the word Teeming mean ( refer to sentence in reading for context clues)
4. What is a civil war?
5. When did the Civil War start in Mozambique?
6. When did the Civil War end in Mozambique?
7. Why did the soldiers hunt the animals?
8. What does the word extinction mean?
9. Name two animals that saw their population severely reduced by the civil war in Mozambique? Give before and after numbers.
10. What would you do to return the park to what it was before the war?
As the title of this blog post states for the rest of the month we will be looking at the life of John F. Kennedy. Fifty (50) years ago on November 22nd President Kennedy was shot in Dallas Texas. This was a major event of the 20th century this month. We will read a short article on Time for kids and Begin watching a film on the life of President Kennedy.
Here are some of the Common Core Standards we are using
Use informtion from a historical text to understand events, compare how two or more events or idea are related.
Combine information for several texts to write or speak about a topic.
Explain events, or ideas in a historical text
Write Clear and understandable pieces that are appropriate to my task, purpose, and audience.
Write informative text that examine a topic, making ideas and information clear.
I can formulate an opinion and defend a opinion using specific details from texts, films,.
Remember Hot Questions: a hot question goes deeper it is a question that requires thought.
Who can tell me what cold question is?
Explore and read the links below. Brainstorm 2 HOT Questions about the storm for your peers to answer. Use your knowledge of having lived through a hurricane (Sandy to help you formulate your questions)
A Higher Order Thinking Question. These are not memory questions these questions go deeper . They ask you to analyze, estimate, understand, solve, plan, understand motives, understand the relationship between 2 things, give opinion, conclude, create ect..
They are not questions that can be answered yes or no or from Memory.
Listen to the week in Rap on Flowcabulary!
Search for news article using google news of your choice read the article on Monday
We will ask the 5 questions of a news article plus, one H.O.T. question you will make up right here on the blog . What is a HOT Question.
A Higher Order Thinking Question. These are not memory questions these questions go deeper . They ask you to anaylze, estimate, understand, solve, understand motives, uderstand the relationship between 2 things, give opinion, conclude, ect..
Here are some resources we can review to get a better understanding of HOT questions
Truthfully this is not a kid friendly resource so our goal is to eventually simplify this chart so we can use it to create HOT questions all the time.
Here are some links where you can read articles about the week
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.WHST.6-8.1b Support claim(s) with logical reasoning and relevant, accurate data and evidence that demonstrate an understanding of the topic or text, using credible sources.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.6.1 Cite textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.6.2 Determine a central idea of a text and how it is conveyed through particular details; provide a summary of the text distinct from personal opinions or judgments.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.6.3 Analyze in detail how a key individual, event, or idea is introduced, illustrated, and elaborated in a text (e.g., through examples or anecdotes).
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.6.1c Pose and respond to specific questions with elaboration and detail by making comments that contribute to the topic, text, or issue under discussi