Some facts about the Brooklyn Bridge
1 The Brooklyn Bridge was started in 1869 and completed on May 24th 1883
2. The Brooklyn Bridge is a suspension bridge
3. The designer of the Bridge was John A. Roebling who died from an injury to his foot and the infection that resulted
4. His son Washington Augustus Roebling would finish the bridge though he to would be injured in the process of building the bridge Working in compressed air in these caissons under the river caused him to get decompression sickness (“the bends“) shattering his health and rendering him unable to visit the site he would supervise it from a window in his bedroom in Brooklyn on the waterfront where he could see the bridge construction.
5. We know that many people thought the bridge could not be built
6 We know the project was supposed to cost 6 million dollars
7. We know that the bridge was vital to NYC because it would connect the two boroughs allowing people to live in Brooklyn and walk to work in Manhattan