Jeopardy Reveiw Ms. Saroya’s Class
Just a quick Review to refresh you for Jeopardy
1.Why did Rosa not finish High school what happened in her family?
Her mother got sick. She left her elementary school because it closed and went to the big city where she saw more segregation because there were more people.
2 What is another word for segregated ? separated
3 The two big cases we need to remember are
Plessy Vs. Ferguson and Brown V. Board of education
Plessy Vs Ferguson is the story of Homer Plessy’
Homer Plessy a light skinned black man who boarded a train in Louisiana went in the white section. He wanted to get arrested so he could challenge the segregation laws But he lost the Supreme court ruled segregation was legal with the words Separate but equal. they made this ruling probably because they had been slave owners. This ruling made segregation legal.
Linda Brown was a black 8 year old girl who wanted to go to the alls white school near her house not 9 blocks away crossing a dangerous railroad. She challenged the segregation laws and won.
4. What does separate but equal mean?
That it was legal to segregate as long as you provided a place for African Americans to do the activity that was segregated example ride the bus, eat in a restaurant got to school etc
5. Rosa was born in the town of Pine Level Alabama
6. Rosa mother was a teacher
7. Rosa’s Grandparents were the only African American Family who owned their farm in Pine Level Alabama. The rest of the farmers rented the farm land from white farmers so they did not make much money on what they grew on their farms this was called tenant farming.
8. The Boyctott lasted 381 days
9. Martin Luther King Jr chose to lead the boycott had his house firebombed during the boycott.
10. What is the Supreme Court. It is the highest court in the land. They have 9 judges and use the Constitution our Rule book to decide their cases.
11. The 13th Amendment freed the slaves
The 14th Amendment gave African American (ex-slaves) equal rights
The 15th Amendment gave male ex-slaves the right to vote.
12. Rosa was thrown off the bus for refusing to board the bus in the back and it was the same bus driver both times
13. The Klu Klux Klan was a terrorist group that attacked African Americans and other minorities in the south what was this group called
14. Voting was made difficult for African Americans often they had to take a test/ pay money or guess something to be able to vote. Rosa had to take a difficult test . White people were not required to do anything to vote.
15 The NAACP is an organization that fights for equal rights for African Americans and other minorities.
- Teamwork Work Together to answer.
- Each team member gets a chance to choose question
- Be respectful of your teammates and the other team
- Be quiet when other teams turn
No over celebrating